On Feb. 14, while most of the nation dressed up in red or pink to celebrate Valentine’s Day, the employees here at J&P Cycles were sporting green in honor of National Donor Day. As you might know, J&P founder John Parham was the recipient of a donated lung back in August of 2010, and he’s doing quite well, thank you. In fact, you’ll likely not find more grateful or active supporters of organ donation that John and his family.
National Donor Day is a way to highlight the many ways people can help save lives through organ donations, blood donations, marrow drives and tissue sign-up events across the country. At J&P Cycles, we simply wanted to show our support for John and the countless others who are still waiting for the tremendous gift of life.
According to www.donatelife.net:
• A total of 112,657 people are currently waiting for an organ.
• Eighteen of those people will die each day waiting for an organ.
• One organ donor can save or benefit up to eight lives.
• Last year, more than 42,000 grafts were made available for transplant by eye banks within the United States.
• Ninety percent of Americans say they support donation, but only 30 percent are aware of the steps it requires to become a donor.